Thursday, June 11, 2015

That Time I Ordered Beer

*Gasp* wait, what? The wine girl ordered beer? Is that even allowed? Is the world ending?

Beer and bubbly sharing the same skyline view in Atlanta
I'll admit that it's a rare occasion, but yes, sometimes a beer just seems right. In fact, I have become more and more cognizant of the fact that some situations even constitute choosing a beer instead of wine. Before I completely loose the attention of my wine fellow wine enthusiasts, please allow me to explain.

A "Beer Flight" is perfect for anyone who loves a good "Wine Flight"
Just the other night, while out with a group of ladies for a weeknight dinner club, I found myself struggling internally about what to order as the accompaniment to my dinner selection. The establishment, known for it's modern American cuisine inspired by classic New York Jewish deli staples, was serving up hearty dishes such as poutine (hello, Canadian "nachos" drowning in gravy and cheese curds), chopped liver pretzel bread, and "THE BURGER" (topped with gruyere, caramelized onions, and crispy pastrami). Not only does the food at this place warm your heart and fill you up, but the upscale deli setting makes you feel casual yet sophisticated all at the same time. I kept alternating my eyes between the drink menu and the food menu trying to make logical pairings in my head. When nothing stuck out to me on the wine list as exciting and the cocktails were the price of two Chipotle burritos, I moved my way to the list of taps and bottles (aka uncharted territory). I approached this situation, however, just as I always do with wine which means asking the waiter for a try-before-you-buy sample. He kindly accommodated my request, could tell I was out of my comfort zone, and was excited to showcase their offerings. 

The sample glasses arrived, and just as you'd expect any total wine nerd to do...I sniffed them. I noticed that this brought some inquisitive looks my way...and then realized that maybe that's not typically what you do with beer? But I'm sorry, I just can't imagine tasting something without engaging my sense of smell. So yes, I'm sure the waitstaff got a good chuckle out of my behavior, but my nose is a powerful instrument that has been fine-tuned over many years in the wine industry to detect anything from honeysuckle to sulfur. So no, I wouldn't dare leave home without it nor sip something without using it as a gatekeeper.

After tasting three lighter brews, I finally found what I was looking for: A hoppy, flavorful IPA to pair with the indulgent heap of gravy-smothered french fries that was being brought to our table as an appetizer. And for $4 per can? Sure, let's give this beer thing a shot because at this point, my wallet and my palate were happy.

Brew Free or Die IPA with poutine at The General Muir
So yes, sometimes it's ok to choose beer over wine. In fact, I've recently been dabbling in the craft beer industry and exploring the similarities to the wine world. In college, I drank whatever beer came out of the keg in someone's basement. I also drank whatever was cheapest and whatever was the easiest to chug. But now, as a somewhat wiser and more mature adult, I've learned that there is an entire industry devoted to creating interesting, exciting, bold, and adventurous beers that can stimulate the palate with a complexity and depth that can rival the experience of sipping my favorite wines. Plus, these craft, local breweries sure know how to throw a party during tasting/tour hours - heck, some even allow you to bring your pup:

Monday Night Brewery in Atlanta has a patio that's perfect for BYODog nights
One of my favorite things about visiting vineyards is learning how they rely on the characteristics of the land to produce their grapes, and I love meeting the people behind the scenes who are navigating the science to create an artistic expression of the fruit. Visiting local breweries often satisfies a similar sense of appreciation when given the opportunity to meet the brew masters, tour the facility, and/or discuss the origins of their brand marketing.

During the tour at Harpoon Brewery in Boston, they asked if I was a "wine drinker" because I asked a lot of questions
Just like wine nerds who enjoy the adventure of tasting new wines, beer aficionados are always looking for beers with interesting labels, unique styles, and new techniques. For that reason, I am finding so much joy in the concept of a "Beer Flight" or a "Brewery Sampler" because I'm definitely someone who drinks beer exactly how I drink wine: Dissecting every flavor, asking every question, and sipping every type.

"Tasting the rainbow" of beers at Steel Toe Brewing in St. Louis Park, Minnesota
The more beer I taste, the more I realize how much it has in common with my first-love craft beverage. A very wise friend once told me, "There seems to be a type of person who likes red wine, dark chocolate, black coffee, and dark beer"....and I'm starting to believe that he has a very valid point now that I've found myself gravitating toward stouts, porters, and black IPAs. 
Some places, like this winery in Minnesota, are even starting to offer both wine and beer in perfect harmony
It's getting to the point that I can even list a few circumstances during which I feel the choice of beer over wine is validated:

1) Baseball - Beer just looks happy when paired up with hot dogs and burgers in a stadium. I've had a few wines in small plastic cups while enjoying America's pastime, and I honestly just felt weird. If concessions stands keep serving interesting beers and local brews, then don't be surprised to see me sipping a Sweetwater at The Ted this summer cheering on my Braves.

Beer and baseball is like peanut butter and jelly
2) Tailgates - it's really hard to keep cold things cold and room-temperature things, well, not hot when partying outdoors. I've experimented with wine from single-serve boxes, wine from plastic containers, and bubbly from red solo cups....but it's just so much easier to pop the cap on a bottle of double IPA in a parking lot.
Tapped (and non-tapped) coolers can keep beers at the proper serving temperature in any parking lot
3) Restaurants with boring wine lists - I'm sorry, but I just don't want to pay $12 for a glass of wine for which I can find a bottle sold for the same price at any of the grocery stores near my house. If I'm going to a fine, gourmet dining establishment that is serving food meant to be paired with wine, I want to see offerings on their wine list that surprise and excite me. I want to find something that I know can't be regularly found on the shelves. If nothing jumps out at me, I'm going to pick a beer for 1/4 the price and be 4 times as happy about it.

4) Date-night with the husband - it's no question that I've turned my husband into a total wine nerd (he even went to a wine tasting last week by himself...without me...and I was so proud) but he's still a beer and bourbon guy at heart. When we go out to dinner just the two of us, sometimes we pick places that are known for the number of beers they have on tap or for serving exclusive local brews. In these cases, I let him pick out a flight of 3 to 4 beers for me to sample and sip so he can take the lead on playing the role of the craft-beverage-nerd.

A sunset flight at Half Moon Bay Brewing Company after a full day of tasting wine in Sonoma on our Honeymoon 
5) Summer festivals - in the South, it's hot and humid in the summer (duh) and there's nothing that sounds less appealing when drenched in sweat than a potentially hot glass of red wine. Also, typically wineries with booths at festivals will serve sweeter wines that not only can be served cold, but also will appeal to a larger audience. I use these occasions as excuses to try out the frosty beverages served on tap at the beer trucks to pair with my pork-chop-on-a-stick or giant turkey leg.

The Beer Garden at the Iowa State Fair...right before we ordered a giant batch of cheese curds
There's nothing wrong with switching up the routine once in a while and exploring other craft beverages. Wine will always have my heart, but I am certainly enjoying the excitement of occasionally using a bottle opener rather than a corkscrew.

Until they make pumpkin spiced wine (which, no, actually please don't) I will drink Fat Jack while carving a pumpkin

No comments:

Post a Comment