Wednesday, January 21, 2015

When Label Judging Goes Wrong



It was "Bachelor Viewing Night" with my friends which always implies wine, cocktails, new Pinterest recipes, and...wine. But can you blame us? Everyone on the show (which, yes, is a guilty pleasure) is always consuming some sort of adult beverage. I would love to know what wine is being served, but they always blur the labels so all of us are left to our own imaginations. Regardless of what they may be pouring to fuel their relationship drama, my friends and I always use the weekly viewing party as an excuse to try something new - that bottle at your local wine shop that you keep staring at every time you visit but that you never buy because it's A) too expensive for weeknight take-out or B) you don't want to disappoint your dinner guests with what could end up being subpar vino...so you pass it up and opt for the ole standby just like always. Well no, let me now inspire you to create an excuse to take a chance and buy "that wine" (and no, it doesn't have to be for a Bachelor viewing party).

There's no denying that one of the latest trends in the wine industry is conducive to the plethora of "gimmicky", "cheesy", "punny", "eccentric", wine labels out there all competing for catching your eye as you browse the aisles. A blogger for Huffington Post even posted an article in lieu of this phenomenon entitled "The One Wine Trend I Want to Go Away"...which points out that these sassy, flashy marketing ploys tend to fish for female wine drinkers but "most of the wine in these bottles is plonk at worst to very simple and uninteresting but easy to drink at best".  You know the ones we're talking about, because how can you pass up fun labels like Mommy's Little Helper, Mad Housewife, Skinnygirl, or my personal favorite (which is actually an entire vineyard brand in Virginia)...Well Hung:



I know, I know - the labels are light-hearted and fun, and what's wrong with that?  I believe one billion percent that wine should be fun and I'm all for that! And I love that these are the labels helping make more and more people feel comfortable to pull a bottle off the shelf! ...so why am I being a curmudgeon? Well, the wine enthusiast/nerd in me has always been severely disappointed with the quality of the wine inside :( womp womp. But really, it's the worst emotional roller coaster because I'm so excited about the super fun bottle and perfectly matched occasion (usually involving a group of my girlfriends because let's be honest we are being targeted with this trend) but then "pop" the cork and swirl the glass and....pure disappointment of a synthetically sweet overtone, flat structure, and abrupt finish. I'm often left with a mediocre glass of wine in my glass as I simultaneously make my way to the snack table for a second helping of Skinnytaste buffalo chicken dip to compensate and lift my spirits. Sigh.

BUT...this week at Bachelor night with the ladies, I was caught completely off-guard with label judgement. My friend placed the bottle pictured above on the snack table which was cleverly called "The Other" with a seductive lady figure stealing the spotlight. We all enjoyed how well it fit the occasion of watching the drama unfold as one man simultaneously dates many "other" women, but my judgement quickly set in as I prepared to be disappointed. The one potential saving grace, however, was that she said she had purchased it from one of my well-respected local wine shops at which I've enjoyed several top quality tasting nights hosted by a very knowledgable owner....so there was hope. I did the honors, filled our glasses, and went in for the all-important first "swirl n sniff"....and holy heaven. Not even kidding, the nose was so full and fragrant - the kind that I could just sit there and smell all day like a weirdo, but where's the fun in that? First sip was glorious as well as all to follow: juicy blackberry and plums balanced with toasted cedar, and an exciting finish of strong tannins, warm spices, and a burst of black cherries leading to a lasting finish. The blend is anchored by Cabernet Sauvignon, supplemented with 30% Merlot, and smoothed out by Syrah. I knew right at that moment that I'd been, well, enlightened. A good wine really CAN live behind the facade of a silly label.

The moral of this story probably has something to do with not judging a book by it's...err...wine by it's...label. 






No comments:

Post a Comment